Application: Windows Live Messenger
Message: Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable
Resolution: Delete Windows Live Contacts folder
- Close Windows Live Messenger
- Locate the folder:
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
- Windows Vista and Windows 7: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft
- Locate and delete or rename Windows Live Contacts folder
- Open Windows Live Messenger and Sign in, it may take longer due to rebuild of Windows Live Contacts folder.
Note: to make sure that you got the right <user name> open Task Manager > Processes > see under User Name, this can be different from user name shown by Windows on welcome screen. Note that in Task Manager are also three system users (LOCAL SERVICE, NETWORK SERVICE and SYSTEM), none of them concerns you.
IMPORTANT !!! Another reason that can cause this error code or some other error code but anyway with same message [Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable] is the computer date. Sometimes due to power failure BIOS may be reseted so, first thing that should be checked when you get above error message is computer date and time.