Designed for small business, the Dell Vostro 3550 laptop is packed with features as USB 3.0, HDD at 7200rpm, Wireless N + Bluetooth 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet adaptors, switchable dual graphics with Intel HD 2000 and Radeon HD 6630M and second generation of Intel i5 CPU. Its standard 15.6″ screen offers enough display space without sacrificing the portability. With only 2.47 kg and 375.4 x 260.2 x 30.4 to 34.8 mm is quite lightweight and small enough to be easily carried.
- Power : better managemnet of battery life with Switchable Graphics Technology. When requiring less power, your laptop automatically switches to the smart Intel integrated HD graphics. The screen opens to a wide angle, making it possible to use it effectively on a laptop desk stand. 6-cell Lithium Ion battery (48WHr) that comes with the laptop is nothing special but seem enough to keep up for two hours of medium usage.
- Case : both metal joints and aluminum housing gives added strength. The drawback comes when we talk about resistance to scratches. The laptop feels relatively solid except that part of the casing in the back middle of screen that bends easily if you push. We expected something more solid taking into account aluminum case. The laptop edges are quite sharp, which may hurt your palms after extended use.
- Touch Pad : is not great but has above-average sensitivity, is large but that is not necessarily an advantage. You need some time to get used to it. In any case using only Windows settings are not enough to have an acceptable experience. It is imperative to install Alps TouchPad to accelerate the cursor pointer.
- LED indicators : the disk/power/battery/wireless indicator lights are not easily visible because they are positioned on the side, which is perfectly vertical. That removes any hint of what happens unless you pull back to see what happens, when you experience issues related to wireless connection, disk or power.
- Connectors : the USB connectors and headphone – mic jacks are on the left – right side upper corner which are excellent positioned. Same applies for integrated card reader, eSATA and HDMI connectors.
- Memory : laptop comes with a 4GB single module which automatically disables the dual-channel capability. So it is advisable to buy a second memory module to gain the maximum possible data transfer rate.
Dell Vostro 3550 specifications:
|CPU Type||Mobile DualCore Intel Core i5-2430M 2400 MHz (27 x 100)|
|Motherboard Name||Dell Vostro 3550|
|Motherboard Chipset||Intel Cougar Point HM67, Intel Sandy Bridge|
|System Memory||DIMM1: Samsung M471B5273DH0-CH9
4 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz)
|BIOS Type||AMI (07/18/2011)|
|Video Adapter||Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 2000|
|3D Accelerator||AMD Radeon HD 6630M (Whistler) GPU: 300MHz / MEM: 600MHz|
|Monitor||AU Optronics B156XW02 [15.6″ LCD]|
|Audio Adapter||IDT 92HD87B1/3 @ Intel Cougar Point PCH – HD Audio Controller|
|Audio Adapter||Intel Cougar Point HDMI @ Intel Cougar Point PCH – HD Audio Controller|
|IDE Controller||Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller|
|Disk Drive||WDC WD5000BPKT-75PK4T0 ATA Device (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)|
|Optical Drive||HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT32N ATA Device|
|Network Adapter||Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller|
|Network Adapter||Bluetooth Device 3.0|
|Network Adapter||Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1030|
|USB2 Controller||Intel Cougar Point PCH – USB EHCI #1 Controller|
|USB3 Controller||NEC uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller|
|USB Device||Integrated Webcam|
|USB Device||Validity Sensor|
Cooler FAN noise level – CPU temperature – FAN speed:
- IDLE : 32dB / CPU temperature 55c / case temperature 37c / room temperature 22c / under 3000rpm
- FULL : 49dB / CPU temperature 84c / case temperature 39c / room temperature 22c / 5166rpm
Battery life, time on battery: 2:08 (100% – 7%):
- full HDD surface scan, time: 1:38
- benchmark HDD
- CPU usage, average: 20%
- display ON: 100% (brightness 50%)
- WIFI 130Mbps, average bandwidth: 3%
To download latests drivers and applications just follow link to Dell Support Center Drivers & Downloads. Enter your service tag (located on the back of your laptop) on left column or, on right column select [ Choose from a list of all Dell products ] > [ Laptops ] > [ Vostro ] > [ Vostro 3550 ].
Those who still think that they can compare mobile with desktop processors just take a look at the benchmark results table below.
|PassMark 7.0||Aida64 CPU||Aida64 FPU||WEI|
|HP Pavilion G6
Intel Core i3-380M
|950,1||1.119,2||620,2||16.221||12.229||80,7 MB/s||732 MB/s||1.284||4.199||2.022||1.744||6,8|
|Review Dell Vostro 3550
Intel Core i5-2430M
|1.040,7||1.112,4||661,0||19.549||17.876||110,7 MB/s||1013 MB/s||1.699||7.347||3.896||1.862||6,9|
Intel Core i5-750
|2.296,8||2.985,7||1.426,6||28.777||50.851||142,9 MB/s||2295 MB/s||2.817||11.204||5.796||3.132||7,4|